Saturday, March 5, 2011

But for the Grace of God

I have often wondered when the stares from strangers would go from looks of envy to looks of pity. I think we might be crossing over. I have seen the faces of friends, familiy, and strangers when they see Emma struggle to move. When they see us to all the work in getting her into a stroller, highcair, carseat. I see the look on their faces when I talk to them about AS. I call these the "but for the grace of God" looks. I can almost see some of them thinking, but for the grade of God, my child is healthy. But for the grace of God, my child does not have seizures, can walk,. can talk. I could agree with them. I could come up with an entire list of why they are the lucky ones. What good will that do me or Emma? I can also think of a million reasons of why I can say the same thing. Here are just a few...
But for the grace of God I have a child who has a smile that can light up a room.
But for the grace of God I have a child who knows how to work harder and is tougher than any adult I have ever met.
But for the grace of God, I have a child who has taught me patience.
But for the grace of God, I have a child who finds pleasure in some of the simplest things. Emma loves life. She sees good in everything around her.
But for the grace of God, I have a child who has taught me a new meaning of the word intelligent. There is so much going on in the head of hers. Who cares if it is not the norm of how we define intellegent. She is the smartest two year old I know.

We don't want pity. Emma's life is nothing to feel sorry for. She is going to have a great one. Of course she will have to overcome obstacles that I wish I could take away. It won't be easy and we will shed our share of tears. I have every bit of faith that she will make her stamp on this world. She already has.

1 comment: