Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day as a Special Needs Mama

On Holidays, I often find myself thinking about where we were last year at the same time. I find myself remembering times where we had no idea the battle we were about to start. Mothers Day 2009, we were still in the realm of normal. I had no idea that I was a mother of a special needs child. I thought my life would be just as we had planned. I was excited thinking about the card Emma would probably make for me the following year. Excited thinking about the beach trips that would follow the following year. How different things would be when she was running around. Little did I know, a year later our lives would be so different. As the months go by, I am still getting used to the diagnosis. I know that Emma will one day make me a card and that she will run at the beach. What I have not gotten used to is this uncharted territory of being different. I feel that my entire life has been so "normal". Everything has gone by the book. It is as if Brian and I had been floating in this bubble of normal, until Angelman Syndrome popped it. It is sometimes scary knowing that we won't ever fit that "typical family mold" again. It sometimes feels that I am on the outside looking in at a world of typical families that we are not a part of. As time goes by, I am sure that this new life of ours will become our new normal. As different as it feels, I can't stress how unbelievably blessed I am to have this child in our lives. I see this sweet little soul who works so hard at everything she does. She melts hearts with just a smile. She gives so much without needing any words.

A little update on her progress...
We have started Emma on several supplements along with a GFCF Low Glycemic Diet. She has also seen a chiropracter for about a month. We are hoping that these things will also help with seizure control as well as her development. We went through a rought two week patch with seizures that I don't ever want to go back to. My number one goal is to keep Emma healthy! She has been working on sign lanugage and picture exchange. She can sign more (when she wants to) and touch a picture of her banana and milk when she wants them. Emma is also learning to hold onto her walker and take steps behind it. Her new favorite is riding the Gator with Grampa! We have taken some great pictures that I will try to post!

We will be walking in our first Angelman Foundation walk in DC on the 15th. We have raised over 1,000 dollars that will be used for research that I am whole heartedly supporting. I truely believe that our answer is just a matter of time!


You weren't like other children,
And God was well aware,
You'd need a caring family,
With love enough to share.
And so He sent you to us,
And much to our surprise,
You haven't been a challenge,
But a blessing in disguise.
Your ...winning smiles and laughter,
The pleasures you impart,
Far outweigh your special needs,
And melt the coldest heart.
We're proud that we've been chosen,
To help you learn and grow,
The job that you have brought us,
Is more than you can know.
A precious gift from Heaven,
A treasure from above,
A child who's taught us many things,
But most of all- "Real Love"

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to a very special mother. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog. Your daughter is beautiful!! Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete